Sunday, April 3, 2011

Monday, April 4 - Beijing

I have heard it said that the Forbidden City is one of the most spectacular sites to be seen in this life. And, when people would tell me that the Great Wall was nice and all, but that the Forbidden City should not be missed, I was skeptical. Now, I completely understand.


We walked all the way to the Forbidden City (AK walking and Inara in a stroller). As we approached Tiananmen Square, tears welled up in my eyes. It was the events in that square that pulled me into the practice of law. I would have never guessed 20 years ago that I would be standing there with my two Chinese daughters and my best friend. And, there at the end of the square, the Forbidden City, larger than my camera could possible capture.


I immediately wondered what it would have been like two centuries ago to approach such a formidable complex built in the middle of the vast expanse of the plain. AK suggested that we build a time machine and travel back in time but in a way that would allow us to not be seen and able to walk through walls so that we could actually enter the Forbidden City. She is such a smart cookie.


Yesterday, we went on a small tour to see the Great Wall and the Ming Tombs. We had the most gracious tour guide who was so helpful with the girls. Climbing the wall from where we started was no easy feat. The steps were up to 2 foot high each. Eric stopped with Inara part way up and AK and I carried on for as long as AK's legs would carry her.


When we reached one of the higher towers, I looked at AK and unexpectedly burst into tears as I looked at my beautiful daughter with the wall rising up behind her. She put her arm on my shoulder, shook her head and said, "I knew this happen. Just take a drink of water, Mama." I had been so worried that our jaunt to Beijing would be a stressful excursion with the girls but it has turned out to have been an amazing side trip. We knew AK was a phenomenal traveler, but it has been a delight to discover that Inara is equally a great travel. Seeing this part of China has been amazing for us as a family.


My favorite part of our trip to the Ming Tombs was driving through the country side and seeing people working the earth, earth they have worked for generations, next to the Great Wall and these elaborate tombs. AK was intrigued seeing all the children working out in the fields (it is planting season). Driving in China is an art. A crazy, chaotic, frightening art. They are amazing drivers but every person and car passed is passed within millimeters and at full speed. Driving (or riding a bike in traffic) is not for the faint of heart.


Here is us changing Inara's diaper in the Forbidden City - I wonder how many times this wall has been used for such a purpose?

1 comment:

  1. Holy Crap, I am laughing and crying at the same time, while reading this post!!!!

    ReplyDelete